Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to Mac this Spring
We just got confirmation that Rise of the Tomb Raider for Mac is coming this Spring!
Developed by Crystal Dynamics, Rise of the Tomb Raider is the sequel to the stellar Tomb Raider 2013 reboot.
Starring the young archaeologist Lara Croft, the game takes place one year after her adventure in Yamatai. This time, Lara sets out to the lost city of Kitezh to recover the Divine Source, an ancient artifact with the power to grant immortality.
Her expedition will take her from Syria’s sun-baked ruins to the vast wilderness of Siberia, where frozen forests and an abandoned Soviet military installation await.
With an 86/100 Metascore, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't stray too far from the original Tomb Raider but manages to nonetheless improve it in every imaginable way.
Given how good the first Tomb Raider was, that is no small feat. From PC Gamer's review:
In many ways, Rise of the Tomb Raider is peak sequel design: an incredibly similar game with a set of expanded and additional systems. But RotTR is also better because it lets you spend more time engaging with those systems.
Taking into account the good relationship Feral Interactive has with Crystal Dynamics, we knew this port was more than likely (thanks to a clever IMG reader who properly interpreted Feral's cryptic clues.
Rise of the Tomb Raider on Mac: Everything you need to know
We still don't have any official system requirements, but if the previous Tomb Raider is any indication, this should be an optimized port with reasonable system requirements (we reviewed it here using 4 different machines).
All we know so far is that the game will use Apple's Metal Graphics API, which should ensure performance will be as high as possible.
Also, keep in mind that this will be the 20 Year Celebration edition and will include the base game plus the following DLC:
- Blood Ties: Uncover family secrets as you explore Lara's childhood home, Croft Manor.
- Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch: Seek the truth behind a mythic terror lurking within a new region of Siberia, the Wicked Vale.
- Cold Darkness Awakened: End a viral outbreak and fight off waves of infected adversaries in the Siberian wilderness.
- Lara’s Nightmare: Become the ultimate zombie slayer as undead hordes infiltrate Croft Manor.
- Endurance Mode: Team with a friend to survive the dangerous forest while plundering crypts for relics.
- Extreme Survivor Challenge: The main campaign set to the hardest difficulty.
- 5 Classic Skins: Nostalgic skins from Tomb Raider history.
- 12 Outfits.
- Expedition Cards: Use cards to boost your score, modify your abilities, and apply cosmetic effects like Big Head Enemies.
I'll share with you the definitive release date, system requirements and final price as soon as Feral reveals them. Stay tuned.