Elite: Dangerous for Mac: Latest Update introduces a Deadly Alien Race
Prior to that, the game went through a limited beta release to iron out performance issues and bugs. Elite: Dangerous’s macOS is a solid Mac port, but it is undeniable that you will need a powerful Mac to run this very demanding game.
About the game
Elite: Dangerous is a space adventure, trading, and combat simulator taking place in a realistic 1:1 scale galaxy based on the real Milky Way. The game is the sequel to Frontier: First Encounters, the third game in the Elite series, released in 1995.
In Elite: Dangerous, you start with a spaceship and a few funds and then take on an open world galaxy. You can go at it legally or illegally, through missions, combat, trading, bounty-hunting, piracy, and assassination.
And the game continues to grow thanks to free updates from the developer.
Encounters that will make your blood run cold
There have been reports of Alien sightings in the game since January 2017. These encounters have continued to escalate since, until it all went overboard with Elite: Dangerous’ latest update called The Return, released on September 26, 2017.
The update also introduced new features such as:
- Inbox Revamp – Various quality of life improvements and a new look
- New Chained Missions
- Updated route plotting system
- Added search and rescue contacts to stations across the galaxy
- New and improved salvage scenarios added to support search and rescue gameplay
- Added more mysterious locations they’re not going to tell us about…
And of particular interest to Mac users, the update brings:
- Fixed a macOS specific issue with asteroid decals having bright textures when mining
- Fixed a macOS specific issue that saw station lights rendering through your ship’s geometry
- macOS: Fixed an issue with gas giants not rendering correctly
A great game for those who have the right hardware
As said before, Elite: Dangerous’ Mac system requirements are still very demanding. Only get it if you have one of the latest Macs with a dedicated graphics card:
- 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
- 4 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB video memory
- 8 GB of hard drive space
- Mac OS 10.10.x
Are you eager to give it a try? You can get the game on Steam.