Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia for Mac is finally available. Released for Windows just a few weeks ago, Feral Interactive delivered the MacOS version even sooner than expected, today, May 24, 2018.
Taking into account that Mac games are usually released months (and sometimes years) later than their Windows counterparts, a 3-weeks delay is impressive.
Developed by Creative Assembly, this is the first in the new Total War Saga series of standalone games inspired by great turning points of history. The game takes place in the British Isles in 878 AD, as Anglo-Saxons, Gaelic clans, and Viking settlers vie for supremacy.
Combining huge real-time battles with deep turn-based strategy, Thrones of Britannia has everything you would expect from a Total War game. Forge alliances, manage settlements, raise armies and embark on a campaign of conquest from the highlands of Gaelic Scotland to the fields of Anglo-Saxon Kent.
With a little luck, this game could be good enough to upset our Top 10 Mac strategy games roundup.
Thrones of Britannia on Mac: Everything you need to know
Creative Assembly has put Feral Interactive in charge of the MacOS version of the game. After all, Feral Interactive did an excellent job with every Total War game they have ported, including Warhammer.
The only two ports Creative Assembly handled itself were Rome 2 and Attila, and in both cases, performance was disappointing. I’m glad Creative Assembly realized decided to trust Feral and double down on their multi-platform efforts.
Tales of Britannia Mac system requirements are the following:
- 1.8GHz Intel Core i3 processor
- macOS 10.13.4
- 8GB of RAM
- 1GB Nvidia 650M, 2GB AMD Radeon M290, Intel Iris Pro 5200 or better
The game is supported on the following machines:
- All 13” Retina MacBook Pros released since 2016
- All 15” Retina MacBook Pros released since Mid 2012
- All 15″ MacBook Pros released since Mid 2012 with a 1GB Graphics Card
- All 21.5” iMacs released since Late 2013 with a 1.8GHz i3 processor or better
- All 27” iMacs released since Late 2013 (late 2012 models with Nvidia 675MX or Nvidia 680MX graphics card are also supported)
- All 27″ iMac Pros
- All Mac Pros released since Late 2013
You download Thrones of Britannia from the Mac App Store for $49.99:
Update: This article was updated on May 24, 2018, to reflect the MacOS release.