And it is with great pleasure I share this news with you:
BioShock Remastered is coming to Mac this August 22, 2017.
I know, I know, everyone is doing remasters these days, but BioShock Remastered for Mac is a big deal.
First of all, because BioShock is recent enough to be enjoyed by modern gamers with modern expectations. Add to that better graphics and you get a game that could compete with the latest shooters any day of the week.
Feral Interactive will be behind BioShock Remastered Mac version and aims to release it later this year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the game’s original release.
According to Feral’s press release, BioShock Remastered for Mac will feature improved graphics running in 1080p. With the Windows version supporting 4K resolution, I wonder why the Mac version would run at barely 1080p.
Update: Feral Interactive reached out to confirm that the game will support a huge range of resolutions, going all the way to 5K. You will be notified in-game that higher resolutions may result in a performance hit.
According to a report from The Verge, this is what you can expect, graphics wise:
BioShock is unambiguously upgraded: textures are finer, images higher-resolution, effects like water and fire more convincing.
Originally developed by Irrational Games for Windows and console, BioShock is set in the decaying underwater city of Rapture. This is a game that won perfect scores from many critics, awards, and is one of my personal favorite horror games and shooters.
I haven’t been so excited about a remaster in a long time (sorry StarCraft).
To run BioShock Remastered, you will need a 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5 processor running macOS 10.12.5, and 8GB of RAM.
The game is supported on the following models:
- All 21.5” iMacs since late 2013 (1GB Nvidia GT 750M Models are not officially supported)
- All 27” iMacs since late 2013 (1GB Nvidia GT 755M Models are not officially supported, but Late 2012 models with 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards are)
- All 13” MacBook Pros since late 2016
- All 15” MacBook Pros since late 2013
- All Mac Pros since late 2013
The following Macs are capable of running the game but do not consistently meet the standards required for official support:
- All 21.5″ iMacs since early 2013
- All 27” iMacs since late 2012 with a 1GB graphics card
- All 13” MacBook Pros since mid 2012
- All 15” MacBook Pros since mid 2012 with a 1GB graphics card
- All MacBook Airs since mid 2012
- All MacBooks since early 2015
- All Mac Pros since 2009 with an AMD 7950 (Mac Edition) graphics card
BioShock Remastered will be available as a full game from the Feral Store, Steam, and the Mac App Store for $19.99. The original BioShock for macOS will continue to be available from the Mac App Store.
As always, Feral will reveal system requirements and more details as they get closer to release.