Space colony simulator, Surviving Mars, is finally available for Mac.
The game was released on March 15, 2018, but after discovering that Surviving Mars for MacOS was crippled by a few critical bugs, I decided to wait before sharing this game with you.
I’m glad to report those bugs have been fixed (more on that below) and you can finally enjoy the game in all its glory.
Developed by Heaminont Games, the same team behind the Tropico series, Surviving Mars will let you colonize Mars. But as can be expected from such an endeavor, this game is a tough simulation, full of realistic mechanics and interlocking systems that will require a lot of thinking and trial and error to succeed.
As Polygon puts it:
If you’re the sort of person who enjoys losing yourself in high stakes strategy, building and planning, Surviving Mars is worth a look.
The game has a good 78/100 Metascore with most reviewers praising the game’s graphics, complexity, and challenging nature. I did notice a few users on Steam complaining about bugs and lack of things to do, but as always, user reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Surviving Mars on Mac: Everything you need to know
After talking with Ivan-Assen Ivanov, Haeminont’s CTO, it was clear the team was aware of the Mac-specific issues and was doing it’s best to solve them as quickly as possible.
On March 20, they officially released a patch that solved most of the issues:
- Bug addressed: missing huge pieces of the interface on macOS
- Bug addressed: orange blocky terrain on Windows + pre-GCN Radeon cards (5700, 5800, etc.)
- Bug addressed: corrupted terrain issues
- Bug addressed: tourists stay on Mars at least 10 sols
These are the known issues they are still currently working on:
- Quitting the game causes a hang
- Flickering shadows.
These are the game’s system requirements:
- OS: OSX 10.11 or newer
- Processor: 4th Generation Intel i3 CPU or equivalent
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: OpenGL 4.1 (GeForce 600/AMD Radeon 5000 or higher) with 1GB of video RAM
- Storage: 6 GB available space
I haven’t had the chance to test the game yet, but it seems the MacOS version is finally safe to buy. You can find Surviving Mars on Steam.