Dota 2 Reborn for Mac is now Available
After a very long time on Beta, Dota 2 for Mac is officially out. In fact, Valve is currently working on a massive update called Dota 2 Reborn:
Dota 2 is now powered by the Source 2 engine, Valve's latest game development platform. This means that ongoing development in the new engine will continue to improve Dota 2. Source 2 includes technology for rendering improvements, performance optimizations, higher fidelity content, and richer, more dynamic games.
These are the main improvements you can expect from this new version:
- More responsive input: One of the ways Source 2 directly improves gameplay is by reducing the latency between issuing a command and seeing your hero react to that command. Our redesigned input system now allows the server to process mouse clicks and key presses directly into visible actions more quickly than before.
- Enhanced performance: Source 2 was built to support a wide range of hardware. Dota 2 in Source 2 runs better on older laptops, and at the same time further increases performance on current desktops. Though Dota 2 may not require all of the resources of a high-end machine, Source 2 has been built to be capable of driving modern machines to their limits. It can use all of your CPU cores, your 64-bit OS, and memory, and includes support for recent and upcoming graphics standards like Direct3D 11 and Vulkan as well as virtual reality if the game demands it. Performance will continue to improve during the beta as we optimize it for more PC configurations.
- Multithreading and streaming: Source 2 will use any available CPU cores to provide a smoother experience, removing many hitches during gameplay. Also, much of the game content can be streamed in the background while the game stays responsive. Animation, voice chat, music and more can continue while the game is loading.
- Multiplatform: Source 2 includes native support for OpenGL without needing a wrapper, improving performance, memory usage and loading times on other platforms. We're still putting the finishing touches on the Mac and Linux clients and we hope to have them available in the coming weeks.
- Improved audio and more
These are the game's minimum system requirements:
- OS: OS X Mavericks 10.9 or newer
- Processor: Intel Dual core
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia 320M or higher, or Radeon HD 2400 or higher, or Intel HD 3000 or higher
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 15 GB available space
Regarding performance, this shouldn't be a very demanding game, but going from discussions on Reddit, it is hard to get a smooth and consistent experience... Hopefully, once this Reborn update will be final, performance on Mac will be much better...
Dota 2 is a free-to-play game and you can get it from Steam.