Rise of the Tomb Raider for Mac is finally available. Feral Interactive released the game today, April 12, 2018.
Starring the young archaeologist Lara Croft, the game takes place one year after her adventure in Yamatai. This time, Lara sets out to the lost city of Kitezh to recover the Divine Source, an ancient artifact with the power to grant immortality.
Her expedition will take her from Syria’s sun-baked ruins to the vast wilderness of Siberia, where frozen forests and an abandoned Soviet military installation await.
With an 86/100 Metascore, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn’t stray too far from the original Tomb Raider but manages to nonetheless improve it in every imaginable way.
Given how good the first Tomb Raider was, that is no small feat. From PC Gamer’s review:
In many ways, Rise of the Tomb Raider is peak sequel design: an incredibly similar game with a set of expanded and additional systems. But RotTR is also better because it lets you spend more time engaging with those systems.
Taking into account the good relationship Feral Interactive has with Crystal Dynamics, we knew this port was more than likely (thanks to a clever IMG reader who properly interpreted Feral’s cryptic clues).
Rise of the Tomb Raider on Mac: Everything you need to know
Feral also announced the official Mac system requirements. Everyone wants to play this, but a relatively powerful Mac will be needed. This is one great-looking game after all. We dig deep into what it takes to run this game in our dedicated Mac Performance review.
These are the game’s minimum system requirements:
- OS: Mac OS 10.13.4
- Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: 2GB Nvidia 680MX, 2GB AMD R9 M290, 1.5GB Intel Iris Graphics 540 or better
- Storage: 27 GB available space on Steam, 37GB on the Mac App Store
The game will be supported on the following Macs:
- All 13″ MacBook Pros released since 2016
- All 15″ MacBook Pros released since Late 2013 with a 2.3GHz processor or better
- All 21.5″ iMacs released since Late 2017
- All 27″ iMacs released since Late 2014 (except models with a Nvidia GT 755M graphics card)
- 27″ iMacs from Late 2012 with a 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards
- All Mac Pros released since Late 2013
And if these requirements are too high for you, the previous Tomb Raider is an excellent game with reasonable Mac system requirements (we reviewed it here using 4 different machines).
We also know that the game uses Apple’s Metal Graphics API, which should ensure performance will be as high as possible.
Finally, keep in mind that this will be the 20 Year Celebration edition and includes the base game plus the following DLC:
- Blood Ties: Uncover family secrets as you explore Lara’s childhood home, Croft Manor.
- Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch: Seek the truth behind a mythic terror lurking within a new region of Siberia, the Wicked Vale.
- Cold Darkness Awakened: End a viral outbreak and fight off waves of infected adversaries in the Siberian wilderness.
- Lara’s Nightmare: Become the ultimate zombie slayer as undead hordes infiltrate Croft Manor.
- Endurance Mode: Team with a friend to survive the dangerous forest while plundering crypts for relics.
- Extreme Survivor Challenge: The main campaign set to the hardest difficulty.
- 5 Classic Skins: Nostalgic skins from Tomb Raider history.
- 12 Outfits.
- Expedition Cards: Use cards to boost your score, modify your abilities, and apply cosmetic effects like Big Head Enemies.
Will you be buying this one?
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission (this is how we pay the bills). This commission comes at no additional cost to you.