Feral Interactive finally announced that XCOM: Enemy Within, the expansion pack for one of our favorite games this year, will be released on the Mac on November 12, 2013. Developed by Firaxis (the makers of the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise) and published by 2K Games for PC and consoles, XCOM: Enemy Within adds a massive amount of new content to the XCOM: Enemy Unknown you know and love (check our review here).
The main features are:
- New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
- Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
- MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry.
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid.
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades.
- New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps.
- New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
“XCOM: Enemy Within adds exciting tactical and strategic depth to an already fantastic game”, said David Stephen, Managing Director of Feral Interactive. I’m not one to believe everything I hear, but keeping in mind console players will have to re-purchase the entire game in order to play this Expansion, it appears Enemy Within is going to be a huge! It appears the Expansion Pack is too big in size to just release it as a DLC. According to Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis:
Enemy Within includes so many changes to the base XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience – new unit types, upgrades and even skill changes – it necessitated an entire re-issue of the game.
Well, this will be the first time Mac gamers have it better than console gamers!
XCOM: Enemy Within for Mac will cost $29.99 and will be available from several digital download stores (probably Steam?). Stay tuned for more.
– Via Joystiq